When planning an exterior painting makeover for your home, there are many decisions to make regarding your project. From choosing the right contractor to the color and type of paint, the choices you make are important in ensuring that you get results you will love. Here are some tips to keep in mind when choosing the paint for your home’s exterior.
Start with Color
The first choice, and most likely the most difficult, is the color. Unless you are just repainting the same color, this is usually the step that takes the longest for homeowners. There are several factors to consider when choosing a new color, including:
- Colors of homes in your neighborhood
- Trending or popular color options
- Matching or complementing your landscaping
- How the sun/shade in your yard will impact the color
- Whether you plan to sell your home
- Stonework, bricks and other fixed features
All these factors come into play when choosing a new color for your home. Even though you may love the new “greige” that is popular for homes in 2018, if your next-door neighbor already has that color, you may want to make another choice. If you are planning on selling your home, you want a neutral color that will appeal to many different tastes. You also need trim and accent colors that pull the whole look together.
For 2018, some of the colors that are trending for home exteriors are grays, beige and greige. Neutral colors, especially earth tones, in lighter varieties are popular for siding and the majority of the exterior. However, the trim can be darker and bolder. A light gray paired with a bold navy for the trim, or a beige with brick red accents or trim offer a two-tone look that is popular for home exteriors in 2018.
Pick Your Finish
Flat, satin, gloss or semi-gloss – the finish of your paint can impact the way it appears and how easy it is to maintain. For most exteriors, high gloss is not appropriate; most siding is painted with flat, satin or semi-gloss. Trim, shutters and other accents can use gloss or semi-gloss. Here are some of the basics on the different types of finishes to help you choose the best for your new exterior paint job.
- High- and semi-gloss are easier to clean, making them a good choice for access points like doors and windows. However, gloss paints do highlight flaws, so it is not always a good choice for older homes with siding or accents that may be worn, dented or have other flaws.
- Flat or matte finishes are the best at hiding flaws on the surface. They are also more forgiving when applying the paint. However, they are also almost impossible to clean. Those with kids, pets or other issues that can tarnish the paint may want to go with a satin or semi-gloss.
- Satin. For a richer color that can be cleaned, satin is a desirable finish for exteriors. It is trickier to get a clean, even look, so it is best when using a professional painting contractor versus DIY paint jobs.
The sun and shade can also impact how the sheen and color of your paint will look when finished. Try using a sample spot on each side of your home in different finishes to see how the paint performs in the light.
Quality of Paint
For exterior paint, the quality of the paint will impact how long it will last before you need to repaint. Investing in a higher quality paint can add years onto the expected longevity of your exterior paint. Top brands like Sherman Williams and Valspar offer high-quality paints that can last for several years, depending on the type of paint you choose. While increased quality can impact the price, it can be a worthwhile investment if you plan on owning your home for more than five years.
Choosing the Best Atlanta Painting Contractor
The final piece of the puzzle when planning your exterior painting project is choosing the right painting contractor. You want experienced, reliable professionals that will use high-quality paint and complete your painting project with finesse and expertise. Plus, you want to know you and your home will be treated with respect by licensed, insured contractors that will stand behind their work with a solid warranty.
At the Atlanta Painting Company, we offer everything you need in a painting contractor and more. You can expect experienced advice in choosing the right paint for your home and an on-site free estimate for your project. All our paint jobs come with our outstanding three-year warranty and our guarantee of quality. We can help you find the right paints for your exterior and ensure your paint job is completed with the highest level of expertise and quality. Contact our team today to schedule your consultation and quote.